Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A New Year Means a New Focus

Perpetual nagging injuries are generously served up with ultra running.  It is difficult to convince yourself that taking time off the trails will benefit your planned races for the year.  But, no matter how “bad-ass” you are, there are times that you need to listen to your body and ease up on training. 

Last year was not that year for me…  I chose to ignore an injury, run through discomfort and failed at many race goals.  We learn from our lessons and then soon forget what we’ve learned; but here I go again!  I’m on the road to recovery after surgery and no running for 4.5 months.  I completed 45 miles last week, which is definitely a huge step in the right direction but literally miles from where I want to go.    

This year I was again, “lucky in the lottery” and got into a couple of races I applied to.  I had 16 tickets in the Western States lottery, with one that was my “golden” ticket.  That set up a year I have dreamed of.  From the time I learned about the “Grand Slam” of ultra running; I have always said, “ If I get in Western I will go for the slam.”  Only 44 women to date have completed it and I love to be challenged, so here’s to 2016 and the Eagle!  

 One important benefit that comes from a “no running” injury is the ability to think introspectively about what you’ve been doing right and where you can improve.  There are many places I can improve, while still feeling confident that my experiences will guide me through almost any adversity.  A few thoughts are listed below and if I can get myself to blog regularly I will add more. 
    
 
Goals
Recover, get stronger and faster
Learn how to run with less “stuff”
Plan to run the hills unless it proves to be less efficient

Don’t over-schedule

No comments:

Post a Comment